Tuesday, April 19, 2011

DIY Pouf!

So I was exploring blog land and I came across this picture from Viva Full House.


I can't find the post it was in, but I fell in love with it immediately. Reading all the comments I found out it was from HomeGoods for I think $70. Sad thing is I've never been to HomeGoods before and money is pretty tight so I thought maybe I could DIY it, using things I already have laying around.
So I found this tutorial from Living with punks and nixed the piping and handle since I would be covering it with fabric scraps. Everything I used was from stuff I already had around the house sitting in closets, collecting dust. For example the body of the pouf was made from the bed skirt that came with my comforter set that I wasn't too keen on, therefore it sat in my closet not being used and with no hope of ever being used. So why not make it into something both beautiful and functional? To stuff it, I grabbed the four dining chair seat cushions that were being stored in our laundry room closet. I cut them open, took out the fluff and put into my new pouf. Well that didn't quite fill it all up, so I went through some of my clothes that were stained or had holes in them and were destined for the trash can, I cut them up into bits and pieces and stuffed them into my pouf, along with the covers to the dining chair cushions and a stained throw.

Now comes the LONG part of the whole project, which took me a couple weeks to complete, due to having to stop and give my poor burnt fingers a rest. Yes a hot glue gun is involved, along with a whole lot of patience and a bit of pain tolerance!! To cover this pouf, I went digging through my son's box of ruined baby clothes. White + Baby = Stained In Minutes! So instead of throwing it all in the trash, I washed it all and then started cutting them into squares in varying sizes. When I was done cutting, I grabbed my pouf and grabbed my hot glue gun and got busy. Taking the squares, folding them twice and adding a dab of glue to the point of the triangle shape, much like the way you would in this tutorial by Little Miss Momma . I started from the middle of the top of the pouf, and worked my way around in a circle until it was completely covered, which like I said before took me a couple of weeks. Fun times it was for sure!

I also included 7 rolled fabric flowers along the side of it. Why 7? Well it was for my daughter's room so I wanted it to be personal, but not as obvious as writing her name all over it. You see she was born on the 17th at 7:12pm, weighing 7lbs 14oz and 21inches long(all divisible by 7). So 7 flower it had to be! Now that it is finally finished I am beyond proud of myself that I stuck with it and did not give up, even though I felt like it quite a few times. I have some war wounds from it, but it was all worth it in the end, that thing is so comfortable and pretty, and not to mention free!! Plus I reused things that were destined for the trash, so it was a very green project too. I love it and think it's a great addition to Zoey's room.

9 comments:

Neesy said...

Looks fabulous, thanks for the directions! This would be a great photo prop!

AndreaRenee said...

Thank you and you're very welcome. It would make a very good photo prop! =)

Krysta said...

How awesome!! I am absolutely terrible at DIY, but this one looks fun!

chinamommy said...

you made it onto pinterest! WOWIE-great job!!

Susan @ Living with Punks said...

Soooo completely gorgeous! I shared on my Facebook page after finding on Pinterest :)

Vintage Resurrections said...

You did what I'm doing with my Eastlake Victorian chair. Can't afford padding and expensive material, so I'm using padding from barely used pillows and and fabric from a left over canvas drop cloth. Somehow it all works doesn't it? Great job - and my 13 year old daughter is begging me to make one of these poufs for her!

Anonymous said...

Did you sew the bed skirt ? Thanks..

Charlotte said...

Hi

Just found this online and it's beautiful- I'd love to try my hand at it- I love a DIY project over the cold winter months!

I can't see you mention how you create the actual pouff itself. Do you have any advise on that?

Thanks!

Lynn Reedy said...

Hi, I just Love the Pouff !!! You mentioned a tutorial on Littlemissmomma.com for some reason I can not find the right tutorial on her site. Would you happen to remember what post it was under ??? Really want to make one of these they look so comfortable and just awesome decor ! Thanks so much for sharing !!